Town of Woodland
From Edward Wiggins, "History of Aroostook County, Maine":
"The town of Woodland, formerly known as Township No. 14, Range 3, was surveyed for settlement by Lore Alford, of Old Town, in 1859, and was divided into lots of 160 acres each. The township is bounded by New Sweden on the north by Caribou on the east, Washburn on the south and Perham on the west- At the time when the first clearing was made in Woodland, both Perham and New Sweden were wilderness townships and had not even been lotted for settlement. The low price at which the State offered these new lands to actual settlers attracted the attention of men who wished to make homes for themselves and families, and they were not long in the market before the sturdy blows of the pioneer's axe were resouncfing through the forest and clearings were cominenced in different portions of the town.
The first to make an opening in the new town was Mr. Frederic E. Lufkin of Caribou, who as early as 1858, before the town had been lotted, made a chopping of six acres in the north part of the town. In 1859 Enoch Philbrick came from Buckfield, in Oxford County, and made a chopping near Mr. Lufkin's. Both these choppings were burnt on the same day in the summer of 1859, fire being set to Mr. Philbrick's first.
In the same year Charles E. Washburn, B. F. Thomas and Moses Thomas came from Oxford County and took lots in the north part of the town, and T. L. Jennison, Carlton Morse and Charles Carlton came from North Dixmont and settled near the centre. None of these brought their families that year, but after building their log houses and making small clearings, went out and returned with their families the next year. The first settler who brought his family to the town and remained was Mr. Ephraim Barnum, who came from Ware, Mass., in 1860 and took a lot in the southeast part of the town. Other settlers who came in 1860 were Jonathan Sawin from Westminster, Mass-, John G. Thayer and Luther Robbins. E. A. Cunningham had arrived during the previous year. In 1861 L. B. Mclntire came in and settled near the centre of the town and a few years later sold his lot to R. A. Sanders. In the same year came George E. Ross from Kennebec County, Willard Glidden from Etna in Penobscot, and John Eddy from Ware, Mass., who settled on the lot adjoining Ephraim Barnum's.
The township was organized as a plantation in 1861, and in April of that year the first legal meeting for choice of officers and other business was held. At this meeting John G. Thayer was chosen Moderator, E. A. Cunningham, Qerk, and T. L. Jennison, Luther Robbins and Charles Carlton, Assessors.
A few more settlers came during that year but the outbreak of the war put a check upon immigration and hardly any new settlers came until after its close. It is the proud boast of this town that every citizen except two, who was fit for service, went to the army, either as a volunteer or as a conscript. This necessarily placed a check upon the growth of the town, but at the close of the war immigration was resumed and the town began to increase in population.
The first male child born in the town was Ernest Thayer, son of John G. Thayer, who was born in 1861, and the first female child was Julia E., daughter of Charles Carlton, born in 1862.
The first school in the town was taught by E. A. Cunningliam in his own house in 1863. A log schoolhouse was built during the next year and Miss Maria Adams of Caribou taught the first school in the new house.
The first minister who held service in the town was Rev. W. P. Ray, a Methodist clergyman stationed at Caribou in 1861, who held meetings once a month in Woodland. The meetings were held in private houses until the log schoolhouse was built.
In 1872 all the unoccupied portion of the north part of the town was resurveyed and lotted into 100 acre lots and granted to the Swedes who could not be provided for in New Sweden, and they now form the larger portion of the citizens of this part of the town. As early as 1880, every lot in the town considered fit for settlement was taken up, and the remainder, comprising about 1000 acres, was sold by the State to Arnold and Dunn, who have since sold it to settlers. In the original survey a block of 1000 acres in the south part of the town was reserved for school purposes. This block was afterwards sold to Messrs. Johnson and Phair of Presque Isle, and the money placed at interest for the support of schools. This land has since been sold to settlers. There are now no lots in the town owned by the State and very few by non-resident proprietors.
Soon after their settlement in the north part of the town the Swedes built a mill on a small brook running into the east branch of the Caribou Stream. This was the first mill built in the town and was a steam mill with one shingle machine. For some reason this mill did not prove to be a profitable one and after running a year the machinery was removed and the mill abandoned.
Some six miles from the village of Caribou, on the road running through Woodland to New Sweden, is the steam mill of Messrs. Goodwin and Hackett. This mill was built in 1878 by York and Merrill and forms the nucleus of what is to be the village of Woodland."
The Woodland Historical Society has two museums in the town including the Snowman School Museum, the only remaining one-room shoolhouse.